Countries whose citizens are allowed to enter Turkey with their national ID’s
5. The Netherlands
9. Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Countries whose citizens are allowed to enter Turkey with their expired passports
1- Germany – Passports expired within the last year / ID’s expired within the last year
2- Belgium - Passports expired within the last 5 years.
3- France - Passports expired within the last 5 years.
4- Spain - Passports expired within the last 5 years.
5- Switzerland - Passports expired within the last 5 years.
6- Luxemburg - Passports expired within the last 5 years.
7- Portugal - Passports expired within the last 5 years.
Visa Information For Foreigners
• As of April 17, 2013, electronic visa (e-Visa) replaces “sticker visa” which was issued at the border crossings. Applicants just need to log on to www.evisa.gov.tr , provide the requested information, (after the application is approved) make online payment and download their e-Visa.
• Please note that e-visa is only valid when the purpose of travel is tourism or commerce. Other purposes, such as work and study, require regular visa given by Embassies or Consulates.
• Passports should be valid at least six months longer than the expiry date of the requested visa.
• The term "official passports" covers diplomatic, service, special and official passports.
• Visa regime for truck drivers of a country may differ from the overall visa regime effective for citizens of that particular country. For further information, please contact the nearest Turkish mission.
• Regardless of the visa regime applied towards the citizens of a country, the travel document holders of that country need to obtain visa from Turkish missions beforehand.
• Foreigners who will shoot a documentary film conduct a research or an archeological excavation should get a special permission from the Turkish authorities in advance.
• If you have a valid visa, you do not need a residence permit up to 90 days. On the other hand, foreigners who shall reside, work or study in Turkey, should register themselves at the nearest local police department upon their arrival in Turkey, regardless of the validity of their visa.
Foreign students are required to possess a Student Visa, prior to their arrival to Turkey. This Visa can be obtained at the Turkish Embassy, located in ones own country. Incoming students are advised to apply for the visa at least two months prior to the date of departure.
In order to obtain an educational visa, students are required to submit these documents: a letter of acceptance given by the school in Turkey, original passport valid for at least one year, a completed visa application form, recent passport size pictures and a non-refundable processing fee for the Turkish Consulate.
Foreigners who stay in Turkey for more than 90 days (the approximate time for a standard tourist visa) should apply for a residence permit.
Residence permit extensions are carried out by District Police Departments Foreigners Offices Students must register for an online appointment to receive an application.(https://erandevu.iem.gov.tr/yabancilar/dil_sec.aspx). The date of appointment arranged throught the E-Appointment system is considered as the application date; and the person will be considered to have applied even when visa period or residence permit period terminates before the appointment date.
Procedure for receiving e-appointment
2- Select ENGLISH
3- Fill in your personal information completely and correctly
4- Select the appointment date and time
5- Select the purpose of application for residence permit
6- Print out a colour copy of your application
PLEASE DON'T FORGET
*To bring the necessary documents mentioned on the website with you, while coming to your appointment. Otherwise your application will not be accepted and a new appointment will be required.
*To come to the Foreigners Department at the arranged date and time
*To bring enough money on you, to pay for taxes for residence permit.
Students must bring the following documents:
Enrolment confirmation from the university
Copy of passport
After the residence permit application has been completed, students need to return to the foreigners department to take residence permit at the date that is indicated on the document given during the application. If students do not go receive the residence permit on the indicated date, the permit will be kept at the Foreigners Department for only 30 days. After this period, the residence permit will be invalid.
To find out more about visa application formalities please visit the website;
You can also obtain information from the Ministry’s internet site;
or contact the Turkish missions in your country;